Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 recall has already started. Even before the South Korean tech company reached out to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the company announced the recall and discontinued sales worldwide. It was only last week that Samsung issued an explanation and apology for the battery problem in an official video statement. At first, some people were praising the tech giant for being honest and quick to respond to the issues after 35 explosions were reported but others still shared their criticisms like Consumer Reports.
We haven’t or met someone who encountered the said problem but we know how dangerous the battery can be. Just ask this Florida guy who filed a formal lawsuit against Samsung for suffering burns after his phone exploded. Jonathan Strobel had his Galaxy Note 7 inside his pocket when it exploded. He claimed that the unit explosion happened while he was in Costco branch in Palm Beach Gardens. The incident happened on September 9, resulting to burns on his right leg and left thumb as the smartphone burned through his pants.
Keith Pierro, lawyer for Strobel, said, “He has a deep second-degree burn, roughly the size of the phone, on his right thigh. Unfortunately for my client the recall came too late.” Pierro said his client who filed for the case in a Palm Beach County court is asking damages for lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering. The case was formally filed only last Friday, September 16, 2016. It was a day after Samsung issued the formal apology and reminder about the recall program.
So far, Samsung has received 92 reports of overheating batteries in the country. The number includes 55 reports of property damages and 26 cases of burns. There’s no official comment from the electronics company yet but Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners are requested to “power their device down and exchange it immediately”.