If you are into Tasker and automation on your Android device in general, you might have heard that Joao Dias (of AutoApps fame) took over ownership and development of the app. So Tasker version 5.2 now arrives as Joao’s first big update for Tasker, and it looks to be a substantial one. There are a number of new additions together with a lot of fixes for old elements of the app that have remained broken for a time.
Tasker 5.2 is Joao’s “first public release” since taking over Tasker development, and he is rightly excited about this. According to him, he took the last few months “intensely learning it from the inside” and seeing what can be done with his newly acquired app. From what it looks like, the update seems to be a generally positive one, with a number of new things now available for Tasker users.
The highlight new feature is Custom Setting, which according to Joao is “a way to change many, many Android system settings with one simple action.” The new feature opens up a lot of possibilities for Tasker. You can try changing Ambient Display settings (as seen in the video below), or changing navigation bar color, to toggling color inversion, among other things. Almost any setting on an Android device is now fair game for automation.
Here is a list of other new features and elements in the update:
- Custom Setting: A way to change many, many Android system settings with one simple action
- Runtime permissions: Tasker now asks for permissions when it needs them instead of you having to accept them all at install time
- Location mode: You can toggle your GPS sensor and change other location related settings
- Immersive Mode: Hide the status bar, the navigation bar or both; great if you want to hide them at certain times or places for example
- Authentication dialog: You can protect your sensitive tasks with a system authentication dialog
- New actions: Now when an action is added or updated, you’ll see a little indicator in Tasker so that you know what new stuff there is
- Root detection is fixed
- Wifi Tether action and %TETHER variable are fixed
- Torch action now available Android Marshmallow or above
- Take Call action now available for Android Oreo or above
- Sound Mode: toggle between ringer, vibrate or no-sound in devices that support it
- Power Mode can now be toggled
- Icon Color in notify actions is now respected
According to the popular developer, the update is now 100% rolled out to users, so you should get that update notification soon. As per usual, there will be other areas that will be getting the update a day or so later than the others. Or you can just download it from Joao’s official website.