User reports tipped the beginning of the Verizon Moto G Android 4.4.2 update earlier in the week. But while the update was confirmed as rolling out, some of the specifics remained a mystery as we had yet to see an official changelog. Well, it seems Verizon Wireless has since posted those details.
The update will be arriving as 173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, for the software version. Of course, more to the point here, this update will have your Moto G jumping from Android 4.3 to Android 4.4.2 (which interestingly means it now sits a step above the Moto X). Big Red points to the update as one that brings a mix of “new features, enhancements and bug fixes.”
The Kit Kat portion of the update includes a new full-screen mode, support for color emoji, and stronger security. Other Android 4.4.2 specifics include improved closed captioning support, smarter power use and improved tools for better app development. While that last bit may be more intended for the developer, end-users should also notice changes in the Phone app which include the following;
- The app will show you the top three people you call or you can customize these three favorites
- Turn other recent into favorites by customizing the order
- Search by name, number or corporation through the search box at the top of the phone screen
- View and tap frequent accessed contacts easily
Otherwise, the remaining items mentioned here touch on Hangouts, image editing, printing and support for the Square credit card reader.
- New version of Google Hangouts supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging: Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app
- Added new photo editing options including: New filter effects, Draw on your photos, Advanced cropping, Adjustments to color, exposure and contrast
- Added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages and other content
- Wireless printing via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters
SOURCE: Verizon Wireless