It looks like Android 2.2 Froyo for the Samsung Galaxy S is finally getting its release, with owners in Norway, Denmark and Sweden all reporting that the new firmware (I9000 JPM) has shown up for installation in Samsung’s Kies PC manager app.
It’s worth noting that, so far, Samsung only has a version of Kies for PC users; if you’ve only got a Mac then we’re afraid you’re out of luck.
Among the reported changes are:
- Android 2.2 JIT compiler
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
- New Android Market with auto-updating
- Speed improvements
- Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
- Improved default keyboard
- Quick links to “GPS” and “Auto rotation” toggles on notification bar added
- Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock
- Colored icons in settings
- GPS Fix
- Colored settings icons
- Media Hub
- Darker menu theme, navy blue color
- Better Exchange support
- Video records in MP4 format
- New Search widget
- New Gmail application
Update: The press release has confirmed it; Nordic regions first, then “gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.”
Samsung GALAXY S Offers New Android 2.2 Upgrade
New platform upgrade provides enhanced experience on the go
SEOUL, Korea – October 18, 2010 – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading mobile phone provider, today announced the Android™ 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S, giving users access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance.
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung’s unique in-house software upgrade program. Kies can be downloaded at the Samsung mobile website (http://www.samsungmobile.com).
The GALAXY S is Samsung’s cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4-inch SUPER AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz application processor, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience. The Android 2.2 upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google MapsTM with Navigation, faster performance by JIT(Just in Time) compiler. Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade.
– Google MapsTM with Navigation: GPS navigation system with voice guidance
– Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1: Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
– Setup Wizard: Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
– Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
– Search in-Browser : Google™, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2009 consolidated sales of US$116.8 billion. Employing approximately 188,000 people in 185 offices across 65 countries, the company consists of eight independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
* All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation.
Samsung reserves the right to make changes to this document and the product described here, at anytime, without obligation on Samsung to provide notification of such change. This document and any formation contained here are provided on “AS IS” basis without warranty of any kind, either implied or expressed, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
Google, the Google logo, Google Maps, Android and Android Market are trademarks of Google, Inc.
Google MapsTM Navigation is not available in countries outside of the Europe, the Americas and Japan regions.
Adobe, the Flash logo and Flash are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.