The Google app is one of the most important apps you could get on your Android phone. It can do a lot of things aside from just searching for whatever you need. With the app, you can just say “OK Google” and the app can search, create reminders, and get directions search for you. A recent app update has allowed Google to send commands and make other Android apps to do something. This makes any Android smartphone smarter than ever because some non-native apps are now prompted by Google to follow voice commands.
For example, if you want to listen to a song in Shazam, just say, “Ok Google, Shazam this song” or “Ok Google, listen to this or that”. Google’s voice command can now recognize a Shazam command, as well as, custom voice commands for other apps like TuneIn, NPR One, Zillow, TripAdvisor, and Flixster. This means developers can now set more specific commands.
There are more things you could ask Google now including help you find showtimes on Flixster by saying “Ok Google, give me showtimes for American Sniper on Flixster”. Use NPR One and turn it on you phone by saying, “Ok Google, listen to NPR” before your commute. Want to look at open houses nearby? You can ask Google to search for you using Realtor.com, Zillow, or Trulia apps.
These new voice commands only work on the latest Google app version and the mentioned apps above so make sure you update first before asking Google to do all these new things.
Here’s a list of some of the things you could ask Google:
• Decide what movie to watch with Flixster
• Listen in to NPR, hands free
• Set reminders while you’re on the go
• Set alarms, check your schedule, create events, even get the weather report.
• Discover the perfect new place
• Use your voice to call friends, family, and businesses.
• Capture new music by saying, “Ok Google, Shazam this song
• Get answers to questions about showtimes, find restaurant menus, and more
• Speak to Google to search and control your phone, handsfree
• Just ask and Google will turn on the TuneIn radio for you
• Quickly get the answer to almost any question.
• Ask Google to show you value of the day on Walmart
• Send texts, compose messages, and more
• Start your Lincoln by voice with MyLincoln Mobile
• Check in on your grocery orders with Instacart
• Find emails, track packages, and more
• Learn about your flight, your destination, and more
• Easily turn on settings like your flashlight
• Control your smart home from your phone
• Quickly launch apps, play music, and more.
• Just ask to find what’s nearby via TripAdvisor app