Users of the myTouch 3G have been long awaiting the arrival of Froyo on their device. It looks like all of their patience will pay off tomorrow as the 2.2 Update will start being pushed over the air.
The process will be staggered, as usual, and updates will roll out over the next couple weeks until October 24th when all devices should have been pushed the update. Many users have probably moved on to a more recent device, but for those of you who waited, your patience is now being rewarded.
*Note: This is only for the original myTouch 3G, Users of the myTouch 3G 3.5mm jack, myTouch Fender Limited Edition, and myTouch 3G slide will have to wait a bit longer.
Update features include:
• New Fully Integrated Exchange Client
◦ Improved security: Numeric pin and alpha-numeric password options have been added to unlock the device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.
◦ Remote wipe: In the event a device is lost or stolen, Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data.
◦ Exchange calendars: Exchange calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.
◦ Auto-discovery: With just a user name and password users can easily set up and/or sync an Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).
◦ Global Address Lists look-up: This functionality is now available in the E-mail application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from an entire directory.
• Faves ◦ Faves Gallery gives customers quick access to the 20 people who matter most.
◦ Customers can scroll through their Faves Gallery and instantly see the most recent communication from their top 20 Faves – calls, texts, emails, instant messaging, and social networking updates – and respond in a flash.
• New Home Screen Features
◦ Home screen Tips widget provides tips on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens.
◦ Market widget lets you keep on top what’s hot on Android Market, showing featured apps right on the home screen.
◦ Live wallpapers are available on Android Market, such as Aquarium, Google Maps and many others.
◦ Phone, All Apps and Browser now have dedicated shortcuts on the home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the five home screen
• Improved Communication Features
◦ Gmail app enhancements:
◦ ◦ ◦ ◦
Include quoted text from the body of an e-mail message Navigate quickly using on-screen previous/next buttons Identify e-mails using colored labels See inline images in messages
◦ Calendar app now supports multiple Google and Exchange accounts
◦ Google Talk app lets users search for buddies from the Search key
◦ Google Voice app now uses Inbox Synchronization so new messages are received in a matter of seconds
◦ Quickcontact is now available in Gmail, Google Talk, and Google Voice, right from your device. Users tap on a contact image to access various ways to reach that person, such as call, SMS, e-mail, etc.
• Other: Improvements to the camera and camcorder, ability to add multiple languages to the keyboard, enhancements to Google Maps, YouTube app, Facebook app, and Twitter app.