Today we’ve been sent official word that Samsung Mobile and Verizon Wireless will be releasing the Droid Charge on April 28th. This is that fabulously impressive phone that’s also Samsung’s first LTE capable device – 4.3-inch Super AMOLED display, a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera, a back-facing 8 megapixel camera, and a 1 GHz single-core processor under the hood. AND you get some credit. AND there’s a scavenger hunt!
The credit you’ll be receiving “for a limited time” is a $25 ticket good for Samsung’s baked-in Media Hub where you’ll be able to rent or purchase all sorts of media directly from your phone. That’s like two movies worth! You’ll be downloading this media on Verizon’s ultra-fast 4G LTE network which we’ve been nothing but impressed with (having been using it for a few weeks now on the HTC ThunderBolt.) Droid Charge also has built-in mobile hotspot capability and access to the Android Marketplace.
ALSO BONUS there’s going to be a Droid Charge Scavenger Hunt! What in the world? Apparently anyone 18 years or older can participate in this hunt taking place in 16 different major US cities, all sorts of additional info coming out of the twitter Droid Landing: @droidlanding. Love it! So weird!
Take a peek at a couple of Charge pics here and get pumped up for the phone!
DROID CHARGE Joins Verizon Wireless’ DROID family
As Samsung’s First 4G LTE Smartphone
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. –Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the Droid Charge by Samsung will be available April 28 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The Droid Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touch screen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The Droid Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8 megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
– 4G LTE– customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
– Android 2.2 platform – With support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
– Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
– Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G connection with up to 10 WiFi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
– Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
– Virtual QWERTY Keyboard featuring Swype Technology
Pricing and data plans:
– The Droid Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
– Droid Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
Find the DROID Charge
Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive Droid Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different cities to win a Droid Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge scavenger hunt, visit: http://twitter.com/droidlanding.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 80,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com.