Sony Ericsson has begun pushing out its promised update for the XPERIA X10 and XPERIA X8, adding pinch-zoom multitouch to the larger handset and enabling ANT+ support for the smaller. The long-awaited multitouch addition to the X10 will work in both the browser and Google Maps; Sony Ericsson is hoping feature tweaks like these will salve the pain of never getting an Android OS update beyond 2.1.
There's also some on-device video editing support and more languages; the full list of changes is below. The X10 and X8 update can be installed manually, via USB, or Sony Ericsson say that most markets will have an OTA option as well.
- Addition of some bi-directional languages (Arabic, Farsi, Thai and Hebrew) – All products.
- Pinch/zoom touch for mobile Internet and Google Maps. – Only Xperia X10.
- Moxier in an updated version (2.7.13) that includes a great overview widget for e-mail, calendar and tasks.
- Moxier e-mail shown in Timescape.
- Possibilities of trimming videos in the phone.
- Videos are transcoded to fit into MMS-messages even if they were recorded in high quality.
- Minor changes to Mediascape with access to “Now Playing” in the top right corner.