Samsung vs. Apple case heading back to court in November

April 30, 2013
0

We saw a bit more on the Samsung vs. Apple cases earlier in the month. At that time it was said that Samsung had infringed on Apple's text-selection patent, however as many realize, that is far from the final court related story for these two companies. More to the point for this latest mention though, this time around we are talking about the previously awarded $450.5 million in damages.

This case originally had Samsung paying Apple $1.05 billion in damages, however that amount was later lowered to $450.5 million. The judge for this case, Judge Lucy Koh has since ordered a new trial that will begin in November. Specifically, the trial is set to take place between November 12th and 18th.

The other side to this story, the court is not going to allow Apple or Samsung to expand the scope of damages. Simply put, neither company will be allowed to introduce any new data. This includes new sales data and new products. Basically, this upcoming trial will be familiar sounding for those who have been following along.

This stems from when Judge Koh had previously said the jury incorrectly calculated the damages. From this, she had said a new trial was needed in other to correctly calculate the actual amount of the fine. And for those keeping track, that could mean a fine that ends up being more (or less) than the current $450.5 million.

[via Reuters]


Recent Stories