The Archos series of internet tablets (Archos 28/32/43/70/101) has just received the 2.2 update that we have been expecting for quite a while. Bringing in an array of new features that Froyo users have grown to love, the tablets are now not only faster and better, but more reliable as well.
Some of the improvements to the family of tablets inlcudes faster USB write transfer, JIT compiler -resulting in up to 5 times faster performance of applications, and enhanced Microsoft Exchange support.
The full list of improvements from the change log is as follows:
- Higher performance: just in time compiler (JIT) technology makes applications run up to 5 times faster than previous Android "Eclair" 2.1 firmwares
- Enhanced Microsoft Exchange support: it is now possible to synchronize contacts and calendar events
- Allow to install more 3rd party applications by installing them on the storage memory (for applications that supports it)
- Video: movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
- Multiple selection mode is now always enabled in the file manager
- External bluetooth GPS receivers are now supported
- Better assistance is provided in the tethering wizard to pair with cell phone using bluetooth DUN profile (smart APN detection)
- OpenVPN is now supported
- Slideshow support for network shares has been added to Gallery and Photoframe applications
- Photoframe: full screen picture can now be displayed on double tap when in floating image mode
- Manual white balance setting has been added in Camera application
- Faster USB write transfer
- Battery: more accurate battery charge estimation
- Audio: improved compatibility with android audio stream volume management (voice/music/ringtone etc.)
- Orientation: fixed compatibility issue with some applications working with inverted accelerometer axis
Any users of the the array of Archos Internet Tablets? How did the update go and how is it performing?