Today there's one big fat announcement coming from Samsung on two new fabulous additions to their massively-successful Galaxy S line. What'll it be? Something gigantic? Something tiny and thin? How about a little of both, and without any network connection? Sounds intriguing! How about if we tell you that the two devices announced in this post have no plans for release in the USA whatsoever? A terrifying prospect to be sure! What ever will we use to stopper the hunger for such a unique device?
What you're looking at here is two different size screens on two different devices with very similar guts. First there's the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.0, this letting you know that the device is 4-inch, it's resolution being 800 x 480 pixels, and its name being WVGA Super Clear LCD. The other version is 5.0 and has a slightly different situation going on - 5-inch, WVGA TFT LCD, and 800 x 480 pixel resolution again. Does that alone let you know which display is the superior one? It should!
Inside both devices have Android 2.2 Froyo, work with a 1GHz processor, and have 3.2-megapixel cameras on the back - 5.0 has an LED flash while 4.0 does not, and both have a VGA camera on the front. Both of these devices have the ability to play MP3, WMA9, Ogg, Flac, AAC, both have a 3.5mm headphone jack and stereo speaker, and both feature Stereo FM Radio. Both devices have GPS, and both work on Wifi 802.11 (b/g/n). Both have 8 / 16 GB + microSD (up to 32GB), and then the differences start flowing in. While the 4.0 version of this device has an Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity, and Light sensor, the 5.0 version only has an Accelerometer and a Digital Compass. The larger of the two devices has a 2,500mAh battery in it, and the smaller of the two has a 1200mAh.
Time to grab em, or is the non-carrier mobile device ready to go the way of the dinosaur? Let the Wifi be your guide. Check out the full press release below.
Samsung Launches GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0:
Smart Mobile Entertainment
Two different sizes combine greater entertainment opportunities with smartphone-like innovation and app experiences
SEOUL, May 2, 2011 – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading provider of Smart Mobile Devices, today launched GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and a fresh addition to its smart player portfolio, the GALAXY S WiFi 5.0.
Each featuring 4” and 5” screen-sizes and delivering the powerful application experiences as the original GALAXY S, the two versions give users an unrivalled entertainment experience through a clear display, a swift 1GHz processor and the Android™ 2.2 “Froyo” platform. The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 will be first available in Russia and will be gradually rolled out in other countries. The GALAXY S WiFi 5.0 will be first available in Switzerland.
“With the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 we’re delivering a rich, immersive experience for multimedia enthusiasts.” said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business. “A large, high-quality screen, a world of fun and useful applications and great communications services make this a powerhouse device at an affordable price.
The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will deliver all the rich smartphone experiences of the GALAXY S smartphone. With video communications via VoIP services and rich video and music entertainment with multi-codec support, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will keep you constantly entertained.
Stunning Performance, Powerful Features
Key Features of the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 include:
• Display: The clear display makes web surfing and multimedia viewing a joy. Keep your lifestyle mobile - enjoy movies, your favourite TV shows, photos and web-browsing anywhere. Samsung’s latest mDNIe image engine technology ensures that video and images look stunning.
• Android™ 2.2 “Froyo”: The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 feature the Froyo operating system, with a possibility to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread.
• Application Customization: With access to over 150,000 apps available on Android Market™, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are fully customizable smart devices. Integrated GPS support further expands the capabilities of the device, letting you benefit from Google’s map services and directory applications.
• Google Mobile Services: Enjoy premium Google™ services such as Gmail™, Google Talk™ and YouTube™. Utilize voice recognition technology to search with Google faster than ever on the Internet. Stay plugged into the world with premier Google applications.
• Samsung Social Hub: Your entire social life in your hand. Simultaneously post messages and pictures on Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter using Samsung’s Social Hub. The integrated address book provides the ultimate command & control station for the most popular SNS services. Synchronize your personal calendar with friends, family, and the latest events.
• VoIP Voice & Video Calls: The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 utilize cost-effective video and voice communications services. The Qik application allows video chat which can be shared over social network services.
• HD Video & Images: A camera lets you shoot and share your life, capturing high-quality video or still images. The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 support DivX HD, allowing high-definition video playback; Support for various codec standards including MPEG4, H264, DivX, XviD, WMV codecs ensures you can enjoy huge catalogues of content from all over the web.
• Audio excellence: The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 “Smart Player” put entertainment at its core, designed to deliver the best possible audio and video experience. Samsung SoundAlive™ technology provides unrivalled sound quality, with deeper bass and greater tone articulation.
• Enhanced Memory Capability: Packed with generous 8/16 GB memory, plus mircoSD slot and powered by a powerful 1GHz for an industry leading performance, the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are equipped to handle any user demand.