Samsung has announced a new 'consumer trial program.' This initially brings thoughts of the trial program launched by Motorola, however the Samsung offering is restricted to those who can visit one of the participating retail locations.
Samsung will be allowing customers to get hands-on with the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 as well as the Gear 2 and Gear Fit. There will be options to rent devices as a bundle pack, or pick any one as an individual offering. Smartphone rentals/trials will include the phone (with service not connected to your personal account), a screen protector, USB charging cord and Samsung earbuds. The wearable rentals/trials will include the device along with a charging cradle and charging cord.
Perhaps key though -- Samsung will have this setup available at five retail locations. There are two in Texas, two in California and one in New York. The specifics for each of the locations are as follows;
- Dallas-Fort Worth/Frisco, TX: Stonebriar Centre Mall, 2601 Preston Rd, Frisco, TX 75034
- Houston/The Woodlands, TX: The Woodlands Mall, 1201 Lake Woodlands Dr, The Woodlands, TX 77380
- Los Angeles/Canoga Park, CA: Westfield Topanga, 6600 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Canoga Park, CA 91303
- New York City: Samsung Galaxy Studio SoHo, 130 Prince Street, NY, NY
- Santa Clara, CA: Westfield Valley Fair, 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95050
Anyway, this is what Samsung describes as being a "hassle-free" 21 trial period. And while Samsung seems to have mixed the rental and trial terms -- it will not actually cost anything to test these devices. Samsung notes how "the program is free of charge" but also makes it clear that "participants will be asked to provide a refundable credit or debit card deposit during their trial period." Assuming you return the device without damage you'll get that deposit back when you return the device.