If you're the proud owner of the original Motorola DROID RAZR or RAZR MAXX from Verizon Wireless we have some excellent news. Reports are flooding in that the 'official' update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is in the testing stages, and hopefully will be coming soon. However, lucky for you guys we already have the actual update file and you can get it right now. Details and instructions can be found below.
The Jelly Bean update for the original RAZR series is long overdue, if you ask us, but at least they're finally getting around to it. After it initially was pushed premature on Christmas weekend to a few lucky folks and immediately pulled, this is now the real update right from Verizon and Motorola.
Below is the official update that is rolling out to testers, and you'll need to be completely stock on the latest Android 4.0 update that rolled out last summer. Thanks to the guys at Droidrzr we have the update right now. Hit that link if you're running the Christmas build, or read on if you're still on ICS.
For those completely stock running the latest official update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (build 6.16.211)
1. Download the update file linked to above and place on SD card
2. Boot into recovery (From powered off push and hold both volume up/down and power at same time, then on boot menu hit volume down to select "recovery" and then hit power to select)
3. Choose "apply update from external storage"
4. Select OTA file downloaded from above and hit go
5. Watch the magic happen, reboot, and enjoy Jelly Bean!
We're hearing that the official update is actually just a few days behind, and should be announced any time now. So for those not as adventurous or just would rather wait for the update themselves, you might want to hold off. Stay tuned as Motorola and Verizon should be rolling this out any day now. Stay tuned!