It was a bit disappointing when an Android Netflix app was finally released, and many found out their phone wasn't supported, but now the proud owners of rooted phones can get the app with a little bit of searching and some sneakiness.
UPDATE: Thanks to Dremth down in the comments we now have a little more insight into the changes needed for the build.prop file. Check out step 6 below.
1) Make sure you have enabled "side loading" apps. Check Menu > Settings > Applications, there you should have "Unknown sources"
2) The first thing you have to do is download the apk to your phone. All you have to do is follow this link in your phone's browser and download it.
3) Once the apk finishes downloading, click the "download complete" notification, and you'll be prompted to install it.
You now have Netflix! HOWEVER, there have been several reports of receiving an error "Sorry we could not reach the Netflix service. Please try again later. If the problems persists please visit netflix.com. (1005)" when trying to stream anything. The fix found so far is a bit of root magic, we'll help you out with that below:
First, you have to be rooted, a quick search can find plenty of guides (a good place to start is XDA-developers) , and it's usually pretty straightforward. Once you're rooted follow on.
4) First you'll need some sort of root file system editor such as ASTRO File Manager.
5) Using your new app, make a copy of build.prop from the /system folder, we're going to be making a change to it, and if it breaks anything else, we want to be able to go back.
6) Go back to the build.prop file in /system and change these two lines:
If you are on 2.3 (Gingerbread):
ro.product.model='your phone's name' to ro.product.model=Nexus S
ro.product.manufacturer='whatever' to ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
Any other 2.X (Froyo or Eclair):
ro.product.model='your phone's name' to ro.product.model=Nexus One
ro.product.manufacturer='whatever' to ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
7) Reboot the phone and it should be working
Give it a try and let us know what phone you have and how it works!