Now that the long awaited 2.1 update for the Droid has hit, are you bored with it already? Root it and flash a custom ROM. And most custom ROM’s include the 3D draw and 5 home screens. There are many root apps that also add extra functionality to your phone.
How to Root DROID 2.1 Update
1. Downgrade using the 2.0.1 SBF file here.
2. Download the 2.1 update.zip from here.
3. Download the attached .zip file from here, and name it droid-ESE81-update-2.zip
4. Open command prompt and run the following command to combine them:
5. copy /b signed-voles-ESE81-from-ESD56.fa406da6.zip+droid-ESE81-update-2.zip update.zip
6. Then copy the update.zip to your SDCard, reboot to STOCK recovery
7. In recovery, press Volume + and Camera then use the D-pad to select Apply update.zip
8. Voila, DROID 2.1 has been rooted successfully.
Note: Proceed with caution, you will be responsible if anything goes wrong. We take no liability in anything that may go wrong. And, this does NOT update the recovery image to 2.1’s recovery.[via gadgetdna,mydroidworld]