Google Glass has a good set of features straight out of the box. You can perform Google searches, take pictures, record video, get directions, send messages, make calls, listen to music and more. Google also offers Glassware apps which extend the out-of-the-box functionality. But even with that -- there may be some items missing for some users.
Those missing items will vary from user to user, however one of the Glassware apps may be able to help. The app is IFTTT, which stands for If This, Then That. Basically, you can use IFTTT to trigger an action. In this case, If This (something happens), Then That (send to Glass).
You'll need to first have an account with IFTTT, and also make sure you activate the IFTTT Glassware app. You will also need to active some channels on IFTTT. But assuming those are all taken care of -- there is a wide range of possibilities available. As we are using both Glass and IFTTT, we thought we would share a few of our favorite recipes.
- Send shipment updates to Glass: This one is preset and you will only need to update the recipe with the numer you want to track.
- Send 'starting in 15 minute' Google Calendar warnings to Glass: You can already get your Calendar on Glass by searching your agenda, however this should come in handy for those in need of the extra reminder.
- Send sports updates to Glass: This involves the ESPN and Glass channels on IFTTT and opens up a world of possibilities including scores, start times, upcoming game reminders and more.
- Send Instagram images to Glass: This one allows you to follow a specific Instagram user. You need to add the username to the recipe, and then you will see all the images they share on Instagram. In our case we are following the official Google Glass account.
- Send RSS updates to Glass: This one is as the name would suggest -- it can be used to send a specific RSS feed to Glass. In our case, we are using it to monitor our feed; Android Community to Google Glass.
Anyway, these are just a few examples, and many more can be found on the IFTTT Glass channel.